Giant Bummer

I have been looking forward to the weekend of May 9th for months. Months and months, in fact. Back before I became old and crotchety, I played field hockey with the most amazing group of girls. If you looked up team/teammate/friend4life in the dictionary all the UCSB Field Hockey Giants would be pictured there.

Giant, you say? I thought that the UCSB mascot was a Gaucho? Correct, but the hockey girls turned themselves Giants early 2000 season. Once you go Giant you never go back! And if you don't know why we went from Gauchos to Giants, I'm not inclined to tell....

You see, we were the best and I'm not lying. Check us here. We were the ish. And with the bond we created over those couple years, it's not surprising that although we've spread our wings over several continents, we keep in touch and remain close. Some of my greatest college memories are with these ladies. They made my transistion into UCSB comfortable.

This was our 'Giant Reunion 2009' weekend. Days and nights of fun, laughter and memories. Our plans came to a skreeching hault this past Tuesday. The Jesusita fire had other plans for us and tens of thousands of SBians. It is still tearing through the gorgeous beach town as I speak. Jenny had a front row seat and has kept not only us updated but CNN as well. Thankfully, she and her family evacuated safely this afternoon.

I'm bummed this weekend didn't turn out as we had all wished but hopefully we'll get our raincheck next month. Please keep all the displaced families in your thoughts and hope the weather starts giving the firefighters some relief. We're thinking about you!

Missing you Giants! I can't wait to see you soon.
xoxox

Comments

Popular Posts